[Amps] Filament transformer needed

Roger (sub1) sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Thu May 26 00:05:26 PDT 2011

On 5/25/2011 10:18 AM, Glen Zook wrote:
> The main reason for wanting some "head room" is to prevent excessive transformer heat.  Being able to control the heater voltage (the GS-31b has a separate cathode) is just the "icing on the cake".  In the pair of GI-7bT amplifier that I built for 160-meters only a few weeks back the filament transformer that I used is rated at 5 amps and the tubes draw just over 4 amps.  Although not hot enough to "burn out", the transformer is a "bit" warmer than I like.

Modern transformers and materials may be rated at between 80 and to over
100C temp rise at the rated power so that transformer *may* have gotten
hot enough to burn you and still been within ratings at 5A.
Of course under the normal load a transformer with lots of head room may
not draw the voltage down enough to stay within the tube's filament
ratings.  Depending on the core material some of them may get hot just
at idle.

73

Roger (K8RI)