[Amps] Increased ambient noise in a 2 x 8877 amplifier

Mike Tubby mike at tubby.org
Thu Nov 17 00:31:40 PST 2011

Chris,

I think that I've heard about this before with 4CX250Bs on 144MHz...
isn't it something to do with "shot noise" and incomplete cut-off of the
tubes? ... you probably have a few tens of uA of anode current flowing
when on receive whoucl could result in 5/10/20/50mW of noise power.

If you consider the normal arrangement with a traditional RF relay
outside the box you also have the isolation (twice) from NO-COM-NC sides
of the contacts (assuming the antenna is connected to COM) so you have
probably another 80-100dB or so of isolation - this is lost in the case
where you put the vac relays 'naked' in the PA compartment...

... just a thought.

Mike G8TIC