[Amps] RD100HHF1 work in 6m

Dennis OConnor ad4hk2004 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 20 04:10:30 PST 2011

denny / k8do

________________________________
 Hsu, I have an SGC500 that I have used in the boat/truck/shack...  I have learned a few things...
First, is that you need a good battery set, at least a pair of group 27 or 31 to handle the surges...
Marine batteries preferred for this type of duty...
And you need a big charger to keep the batteries from discharging too far during heavy operating periods...
My truck has 2 alternators of 125 amps each...
I use a bank of Golf Cart batteries in series/parallel in the boat with a single 90 amp alternator...
You will be pulling over 100 amperes at peaks...  This is a big electromagnetic field...

When I use the SGC500 in the shack, it sets on a shelf at eye level... The DC cables drop straight down from the front of the map to the battery set on a low shelf, so there is a good 3 feet of cable hanging and they are about an inch and a half apart...  When I am keying CW the cables will start to swing towards each other and away in rhythm to the keying of words  -  Orsted's Right Hand Rule and Flemings Left Hand Rule demonstrated visibly...  Visitors to the shack find it fascinating...

On your Golf, you are sucking the battery down to the point that the voltage on the system is below the cutoff for the CPU...  It also means the voltage to the amp is down which is bad news for the transistors... I suggest you add a battery in the trunk..

On building an amp... Take the cover off your SGC500 and look at the attention to detail for heat sinking, relays, bypassing, etc. to see what you need to have a reliable amp...

cheers

denny-o
k8do