[Amps] HIGHWAY LOUIE

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Tue Nov 22 09:16:20 PST 2011

Hi All, do you think the 40ft moile antenna might have been mounted on one
end of the vehicle and pulled diagonally across to the other end and
cinched  down forming a near half circle?

Done that way, the required clearance would be on the order of 15 feet or
so. That would clear most obstacles.

I ran a 15 ft mobile whip for a while back in the late 60's and that was ok
 nearly everywhere except under the canopy of a filling station with
fluorescent  lighting. Ask me how I know!

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 11/22/2011 11:05:44 A.M. Central Standard Time,
sub1 at rogerhalstead.com writes:

On  11/22/2011 9:11 AM, k7fm wrote:
> Just ran into an article in the May  1952 issue of CQ.  W6RL installed a
> teletype model 12 into his  1952 Chevy Carryall.  A seperate Kohler "light
> plant" was also  installed in the back.  BC-348 receiver and 813
transmitter
>  running 300 watts was the transmitter.
>
> The 80 meter whip is 40  feet.  The article says he did operate while in
> motion.   (maybe less overpasses in those days).
52? Overpasses?   There  was a whole lot less of everything back then. I
don't think they'd even  started on the Interstate Highway system yet so
there were many areas of  highways in the middle of the country and
mountainous states where he  could have used that antenna. "I'd guess"
though that his use of that  antenna mobile was actually quite limited.

There would have been  few over passes and virtually none of the type
we see on the  expressways.  BUT he'd have wanted to travel them first as
every once  in a while you'd find overhead power lines. Sometimes they
were pretty low  and difficult to spot till you were right up to them.
We also had  few of the huge high tension transmission lines you see
today.  Cars  had not reached the gargantuan size of the 60's and 70's
either. Course  anything with 30 to 50 thousand miles was considered worn
our.

BTW  a good B&W Television with a little screen cost as much as today's
50  or 60" HDTV...or more in some instances for a not so great picture
quality.  The new huge CRTs gad reached a whole, monstrous 21".  <:-))
They had a horizontal sweep oscillator you could sometimes  hear for a
half mile or more and it might have harmonics up to 40  meters.

73

Roger (K8RI)

> 73,   Colin  K7FM

Amps  mailing  list