[Amps] Arcing 8877

Steve Thompson g8gsq72 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 10:35:33 PST 2011

I had arcing a bit like that fixing a friend's W6PO 2m 8877 amp.
It didn't have the big bang take out the fuses side but we could
see arcing somewhere around the fins when the power was wound up.
It turned out to be damage to the doorknob caps used for the dc
blockers - mechanical stress from moving things when the tube was
changed eariler had fractured the metallisation on the caps and
all the rf volts were showing up across a tiny air gap which then
arced across. With so much metal around the light was reflected
everywhere and it took a while to pinpoint where it was coming from.

Steve