[Amps] HIGHWAY LOUIE

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Sat Nov 26 00:12:27 PST 2011

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:25:36 -0800
From: "AA6DX - Mark" <aa6dx at arrl.net>
Subject: [Amps] HIGHWAY LOUIE

I remember the guy who had the Cadillac with a complete S-line including
the 30S1 in it. I think it may have even made QST. (50's or 60's) I'm
sure he's not the only one to run QRO mobile.
When it comes to mobile I've always been of the opinion that it's
considered QRP if you key the mike and the tires don't skid.

The Kilowatt Cadillac was the famous "Highway Louie"  --- really enjoyed
seeing that rig at hamfests, like at Fresno, and hearing it .. on air..
73, Mark  AA6DX

##  The story I got from  a friend in W6 land, just a few years ago was highway Louie
was actually  W6HWL.   He was quite the character.  He drove up to my friends place
in the late 50's,  and told his father,,, " you got to get that boy a real receiver" .  He ended
up getting a better [used]  receiver for xmas that year.

later... Jim  VE7RF