[Amps] Can distilled water be used for a dummy load ??

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Wed Nov 30 13:18:32 PST 2011

On 11/30/11 12:10 AM, Roger wrote:

> Water may need to be changed maybe once a year.  DI is ion hungry so I
> don't know how it'd work with the solder joints or metal in the circuit.
> Tap water?  It definitely will lower the resistance of the dummy load.
> Whether it will adversely affect the SWR, only a test will show.
>
> 73
>
> Roger (K8RI)

I'd somewhat doubt the tap water would be sufficiently conductive to have a
major effect on the DC resistance of a 50 ohm load. If the load was 1 M Ohm,
then I see it's possible, but I very much doubt it at 50 Ohm.

The capacitance might be more of an issue though, as the dielectric constant of
water is very high.

Dave