[Amps] best deal for Mallory caps?

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Wed Nov 30 19:07:56 PST 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Brown" <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Amps] best deal for Mallory caps?

> On 11/28/2011 7:42 AM, Carl wrote:
>>>   I use my

>> That test is about 1% better than nothing.
>
> Better than nothing my &$#@   It works VERY well to find a dead lytic in
> a string. Perhaps you have the bucks to spend on every possible piece of
> test gear, but most us have to make do with what we have, and most of us
> have a basic VOM.  If you've got a cap breaking down under load, yes,
> you would need it, but not to find an open lytic n a string.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Ummm, an open lytic is not going to show ANY charging on the meter.

I stand by my earlier statement that a 260 is otherwise 99% useless to find
high levels of leakage that will indicate a problem in the making.

High bucks test equipment isnt necessary, a simple home made ESR meter or an
old Heath/Knight bench supply and a meter that can read low current....such
as your 260....is all that is required.

OTOH, many amp owners arent so cheap that they wont do some intelligent PM
and replace the caps wholesale after 20-25 years.

Carl
KM1H