[Amps] Big tubes

Roger (sub1) sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Oct 12 13:00:27 PDT 2011

On 10/11/2011 11:59 AM, Carl wrote:
> Too bad they cant put a 3CX1000A7 innards into an 8877. Great tube, runs
> forever, which is likely why Eimac stopped developing it into a ham tube.
>
> Id also vote for YC-156 rebuilds. One back to new specs will outlive most
> hams especially if run legal (-;

It'll probably out live their grandkids too<:-)) The only complaints I
have for legal limit amps is the thing is so darn big and it takes
forever and another day to warm up.  OTOH I automatically turn my amp on
every time I turn on the rig.

Of course the 4CX3000A7 is big too and you have to hunt to find good
sockets for a half way reasonable price.  Most on e-bay come without the
two mounting/cooling rings.  OTOH it's almost instant on, but takes a
bit more power to light the fire.

73

Roger (K8RI)