[Amps] running two 3 phase transformer serie/parallel

Mike Tubby mike at tubby.org
Thu Oct 27 01:37:49 PDT 2011

Carel,

I think what you were originally suggesting might work, as long as you
have access to both sides of each primary winding.

If you call the phases Red (R), Yellow (Y) and Blue (B) as we used to in
the UK, the transformers #1 and #2 and the ends of the windings A and B,
then:

     Red = R1A [primary] R1B --- R2A [primary] R2B
     Yellow = Y1A [primary] Y1B --- Y2A [primary] Y2B
     Blue = B1A [primary] B1B --- B2A [primary] B2B

each primary is in series and will see half-voltage.  You still need to
know if you are to power it in 'star' or 'delta'.

On the output side the easiest (safest) thing to do would probably be 6
x diodes, each one a half-wave rectifier and parallel the DC side going
in to the smoothing - this way if one of the transformers provides 5-10V
more off load than the other it won't back need another secondary winding.

Alternatively you could use two three-phase rectifiers and parallel the
DC sides going in to your smoothing.

Rectifier arrangements are here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectifier

Regards