[Amps] Item # 170692212503

Roger (sub1) sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Fri Sep 9 18:54:51 PDT 2011

On 9/8/2011 10:01 AM, Sam Carpenter wrote:
> These are two totally different amps. The one with the 4cx1500b is new and
> is basically the Eimac type 4cx1000 with more dissipation. The older 4cx1600
> is a Svetlana type (Russian) tube. No interchange except that Svetlana
> renamed the tube to sound like an American type (EimacType). I understand
> that the tube in russian nomenclature has a 2500-3000w dissipation but if
> they said that, they might have had fcc acceptance problems and downrated it
> for the American market.

Although a good many tubes get over rated when I look at the 4CX-1600B
the anode doesn't look anywhere near capable of the dissipation of the
GU-84B (4CX2500).  How much emission it had, I don't know.  For example
the 4CX1500B doesn't have a lot of excess emission, yet it has a 1500
watt anode. I don't think, but don't know for sure Carl probably does)
that running a 4CX1500B in AB1 or 2  you couldn't even reach the tubes
rated dissipation.   OTOH the Chinese FU728F which has a slightly larger
anode than the 4CX1500B (1/2" taller but is the electrical equivalent )
only is rated at 1200 watts dissipation, BUT it will easily run 2KW
nominal, or 2500 watts PEP output. 2 KW nominal at 60% would use the
1200 watts nominal  and it has the emission to run 2.5KW PE

I have heard the renumbered 4CX800s only have a 600 watt anode, but
that's still plenty for running the legal limit.  OTOH if you want to
run the legal limit class A you are going to need some serious tubes
with at least 3 KW anode dissipation.

Tubes that will work in legal limit amps are fast becoming expensive.

73

Roger (K8RI)