[Amps] 2 ways of Gettering...

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Tue Sep 13 22:20:45 PDT 2011

   High vacuum systems  use getters that get very hot, but they slowly evaporate over a very long time, years sometimes.
The metallic vapor collides with the gas molecules and they both become deposited on the walls of the iion pump.
Heating the surfaces (bakeing)  drives off the gas molecules that are pumped by the these ion pumps.
To increase the chances of collisions magnets are used to increase the path that the ions take before they collide
with the walls. Hot is good in this case.
73
Bill wa4lav