[Amps] NOS 811's & 30L1

Mike Lord k4elv at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 21 12:25:23 PDT 2011

I just completed the restoration of a 30L1, i.e., new Harbach board, "matched set" of 811's.  Brought the unit up slowly with a Variac.  110 VAC line voltage, 1800 VDC unloaded on plates.  All seemed ok.  Hooked up the unit to the rig.  Turned the 30L1 on and blew up the glitch resistors.  Smoked up the place.  Checked the unit for damage beyond the glitch all checked ok.  Brought the unit up slowly with the Variac and at about 400 VDC one tube began showing purple glow and slight arcing.  Changed out the tube and all was well.  Here's my question.  The 811 vendor tells me the problem is the 1800 VDC on the plates.  "Too much for an 811"  I realize the caps on the Harbach are large thus more B+, but there have been many of those boards sold.  The 30L1 book says 1600 VDC unloaded.  The 811 is rated at 1500 V.  So what are all the 30L1 owners doing besides changing over to a 572B?

Thanks.  Mike K4ELV