[Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 105, Issue 38

Phil Clements philclements at centurylink.net
Sun Sep 25 14:16:13 PDT 2011

I don't disagree with using the Johnson Matchbox, or using a coax fed
dipole.  I also have one of those KW matchboxes (it's not for sale) and in
past years used coax fed dipoles, but they/it does not tune the frequencies
I need to tune, MARS 4.5 Mhz, 3.3 Mhz etc.  I know I can cut feedline or
lengthen it, I've already wasted a bunch of feedline and time doing just
that.  The Palstar BT1500 tunes the frequencies I need to tune and better
after I added the choke balun.  The balun I installed at the recommendation
of Paul at Palstar did work.  Regardless if it's proper or not makes no
difference to me, it worked  and that's ALL that matters.

I also have the BT1500A, and it has a 1:1 balun on the input side
already.(Built in) Where did you install the added choke balun recommended
by Paul @ PalStar? What did you make it out of? I have a 135 foot long
flat-top dipole @ 70 feet, fed by 400 feet of 600 ohm ladder line. I only
use it on 80 and 40 meters, and it performs great. My only gripe is that the
forward power diode in the swr coupler box keeps blowing. I paralleled 2
diodes the last  time I changed them, and they promptly blew again! PalStar
keeps sending me packages of free diodes, and all have blown.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC