[Amps] Longshot - looking for 8873

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Fri Apr 6 15:21:23 PDT 2012

On 4/6/2012 3:40 PM, Paul Decker wrote:
> Probably a dumb idea, but what about cutting and grafting a custom convection cooling anode to an 8874 or to a 3cx800?  Similar to how some of the Russian tubes have interchangeable coolers.

It can be done, but I don't know what the success ratio would be and the
8874's are already very expensive. The 3CX800 has a larger anode inside
the radiator, I don't know if it'd clear of not.

The main problem in creating a "Conduction" cooled version is that
unlike the Russian tube the anode coolers are soldered on the Eimac
tubes, so once you remove the radiator you have a very irregular surface
that has to be trued and polished while remembering the insides of these
tubes are fragile. On top of that you have no surface to which you can
bolt the new radiator.  You could build a threaded adapter to fit over
the top of the tube that would need to be soldered in place, but the new
cooler would have to simultaneously fit tight against the top and the
entire anode area on the sides.

It'd probably be easier to machine the cooler to fit the anode and use
solder paste to fasten it to the anode. I'd think the clearance would be
relatively critical.

About the only way I can think of to true up the anode for the new
cooler would be to chuck it up in a lathe and use a small belt sander on
the tool post.  Considering the anode is nothing more than thin sheet
metal, I'd think this would be a very risky undertaking.

Converting the 230 for the Russian tube (GI-7B) and machining a
conduction cooler to fit would be far easier, and probably run about the
same power even if the IM is not as good. Getting the anode cooler
aligned would become a non issue unlike soldering one on a Eimac tube.

Any one know what the IM figures are for the GI-7B or GI-7TB?  I think
this is a planar tube, but not sure.

73

Roger (K8RI)