[Amps] Filter Capacitors

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Fri Apr 13 07:40:35 PDT 2012

A choke is not a good idea unless great care is taken to eliminate/minimize
the switching spike which is present with tube and SS rectifiers. A scope is
mandatory especially if the choke and caps are not well overated for
voltage.

For decades this spike has been mostly ignored in literature and finally saw
daylight again when more boatanchor amps were being built and then the audio
types got involved and developed their own versions of reality.

I first noticed it about 10 years ago when checking ripple in a 2700V PS and
had to dig into the old handbooks and QST's and saw the "ancients" knew all
about it. I hadnt built a choke input supply since the late 50's and that
was simply using WW2 surplus from a BC-610 so obviously the design work was
already done.

Carl
KM1H