[Amps] Slightly off topic

amsctalx at comcast.net amsctalx at comcast.net
Tue Apr 17 16:19:15 PDT 2012

To the contrary, my company's experience with SSDs - including data logger installations in high RF field density environments such as EMC chambers and collision avoidance system test rigs - is that they are more reliable overall, and much less susceptible to RFI than electro-mechanical disk drives. They are increasingly common in instrumentation systems, including Agilent RF lab and field equipment.

Consider that the typical HDD control board - essentially a servo controller and a signal processor - is mounted outside the enclosure, and that an SSD is basically a "state machine", and the difference in susceptibility makes sense. They also emit less RF for exactly the same reason - most everything is enclosed.

Mike Alexander - N8MSA

amsctalx at comcast.net