[Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps 2K-FA: Any Opinions ?

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Apr 30 05:17:03 PDT 2012

Bravo, Jim.  Interestingly, Elecraft showed a PA-1500 at Dayton for
several years, and I know they had at least one out for field test.  It
had a flock of super features, including very fast band-changing, QSK,
etc.  Sounds a lot like the KPA-500 X3

Recently, someone commented authoritatively (well, it sounded like it)
on the Elecraft reflector that Wayne and Eric had decided against
marketing the amp because it would have to be priced at $6000, and they
thought that price point was too high.  Recent discussion about SS amps,
however, seems to indicate that this pricing would now be reasonable,
and I, for one, would seriously consider making it my first new amp,
even though $6K is more than I have spent on ham equipment in the last
decade.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000