[Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps 2K-FA: Any Opinions ?

W2XJ w2xj at nyc.rr.com
Mon Apr 30 10:29:06 PDT 2012

Paul

It was on this board a while back that someone commented that any
amplifier built to be on a desk top was not going to be gutsy enough to
do constant power modes indefinitely (or words to that effect).  Packing
more in a smaller box can be a problem not limited to HF amplifiers.
Look at modern servers. Actually it is not necessary to look as they can
be heard from a distance.  New MOSFET technology is helping by offering
lower internal thermal resistance thus getting more heat from the
junction to a heat sink. It is still up to the engineer to develop a
robust heat sinking system to remove that heat. Liquid cooling as used
in gaming computers is an option. Several BC TX manufacturers have gone
to that method in the TV and FM lines.