[Amps] every db lost re Tubes vs. Solid State

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 13:55:35 PDT 2012

> On 4/29/2012 11:01 PM, Charles Harpole wrote:
>
>> I know ever coax joint, every coax switch, and so on costs rcv db.
>>

> ...  This is one of those often repeated myths with little basis in fact.
> A properly done coax connection is essentially lossless at HF. ...

Exactly. It wouldn't take hardly any loss at all for a connector, switch,
or whatever to get warm fairly quickly when power was transferred through
it. If it did have significant loss, you would burn your fingers on the
connector at well below the 1500 watt level.

For example, a connector with 0.1 dB loss would dissipate ~35 watts of heat
at 1500 watts. Do you have any idea just how hot a resistor dissipating
that much power would get? I guarantee you that you would quickly yank back
your hand in pain as soon as you touched it.

Nobody's coax connectors, properly installed, get hot. And even at only 100
watts, a connector with .1 dB loss would still get warm!

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com