[Amps] The dilemma of Tx tube

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Wed Aug 1 05:27:05 PDT 2012

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 20:37:58 +0930
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech at frontierisp.net.au>
Subject: Re: [Amps] [ham_amplifiers] RE: The dilemma of Tx tube
choices and lack of decorum (again)
To: <ham_amplifiers at yahoogroups.com>
Cc: amps at contesting.com

Carl, there's nothing at all wrong with posting to both forums in this
instance as the subject matter here about the problematic dearth of current
production Tx tubes is equally pertinent to the interests of both; albeit
perhaps more so to the home brew amp focused ham_amplifiers group.

I'm not sure what you mean by your abstruse and presumably sly derogatory
reference to "CB style QRO amps"...certainly none of the amps I own, or have
built, or modified have technical performance that's less than superlative.
All deploy engineering best practice and would be on par with the finest in
any technical benchmark performance competition; whether on the lab test
bench or on-air assessment.

Some of these high performance amps use Russian mil-spec SSB Tx tubes :-)

Cheers,

Leigh

##  Leigh, PLEASE DON’T  post the same identical posts to both  AMPS @ contesting.com
and also  the yahoo group.
It gets  VERY confusing..and real fast.   I had one of my posts  intended for the  yahoo
group..end up on AMPS  in error.  Although a lot of folks belong to both forums, its
still a dumb idea..     If you want to post a similar or same topic to both forums, at least
do it as  two separate  ( and different)  postings, one for each group.

###  AMPS  @ contesting .com  is a legal limit, table top amp, commercial ham amp type
of group.   The ham_amplifiers@ yahoogroups,com
ex broadcast design engineers, 11 m QRO builders, and  loads  and loads of hams
who build well over the legal limit  amps.  AMPS  @  contesting .com  has no pix, nor
any file section like the yahoo group does.

##  although they have similar  amp related issues,  treat them as two separate
and distinct  groups.   Folks here on AMPS  will be greatly  annoyed when they
find out their postings  are being reposted to the yahoo group.   Then we have folks like
Rich measures, who will be arguing with comments made here on AMPS.....over on the
yahoo forum.   Rich can’t post here... and lots of folks on AMPS cant post on the yahoo forum .

##  leigh, u might find it amusing, the rest of us don’t.   BTW..although the GS35B  is
a low cost, big bang for the buck  GG triode.... it has one drawback.    Its  an  IMD
garbage truck on the bands.  It doesn’t even come close to meeting any ITU commerical
spec for IMD3-5-7-9-11, or any other commercial spec, past or present.  It’s a   dirty
tube, plane and simple, just measure it.   So is a 4-1000.

Jim   VE7RF