[Amps] GS-35B and Alpha 76/78

Jim Barber audioguy at q.com
Wed Aug 1 11:43:35 PDT 2012

I don't have a GS-35B here to fiddle with (I do have a Alpha 76A) but
here's what I wonder:

(1) Is there room for the (roughly) 4" diameter anode cooler
horizontally and the 5.33"
vertical profile, leaving adequate air gap from the case to prevent arcs?

(2) Is there room inside the case anywhere for the 12.6V 3.25A filament
transformer? (I suppose you could bolt it on the back?)

(3) And last but not least - how will you get enough air moving through
it to cool it? I don't believe the
stock cooling would be adequate, but then that might depend on your
output expectations. With 2KV on the anode,
and an untuned cathode, what would you expect the output to be?

Sorry - no answers, but a few questions. If it worked out I might be
interested in doing a conversion myself.
I have a 2-hole 76A and the 8874's are ancient... I've considered
converting to a pair of 3CXP800 medical pulls,
but since I have no real use for the amp before or after I wouldn't get
the investment back.

73,
Jim N7CXI