[Amps] another "new" amp coming?

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Fri Aug 3 07:17:53 PDT 2012

Looks like QRO is using a RFC on the filament rather than let 10A of AC
return current flow on the chassis like the 77Dx design.  It appears that in
doing so, they tied filament and cathode together like the AL-1500.   Also,
they're continuing to use the RJ1A/KC1 class of vacuum relay on the RF
output, but I don't see any mechanical shock-mounting.  RF deck layout is
well-designed with parts oriented for minimal wiring distances.

QRO seems to be keeping with the Hypersil transformer PS design.  Alpha
(9500), and now DedicatedRF are using HV toroids.  No experience here with
the HV toroid design.  Comments pro or con?  I was at a friend's QTH last
fall where an amp used a HV toroid and was annoyed by the amount of cabinet
hum it produced under full output power.

Paul, W9AC