[Amps] new QRO 3K

Charles Harpole k4vud at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 3 18:53:05 PDT 2012

Ok, I like the way it looks.   Well graduated markings for the tuning knobs, full-time grid meter, weird ALC adjust on front panel (do we really need many re-settings of this function?), and choice of fan speed up front, nice.  Notice, no low/hi voltage sw., interesting.  Rear panel shows interesting input adjustments available for each band, a very unique feature, especially available from outside the case.  Both sides of AC line fused, good.  Odd there is no "RF relative output" metering at all implying not tuning for max smoke.   And, is that a butch blower or what?  Looks like the 8877 will be tube of forced choice for the future. Ham radios are too pretty today, except this one.  Rumors are that Y, K, I spend more on the design and mfg of the front panels than the innards.  An amp should look raw and mean, not like a stereo (remember the TR-7 ?). BTW, established brands need to get out into the installed base of the market fast now prior to the on-coming cheap Chinese stuff.  73,

Charles Harpole
k4vud at hotmail.com