[Amps] another "new" amp coming?

Jim Barber audioguy at q.com
Sat Aug 4 17:35:50 PDT 2012

After owning a HF-2500DX for a while, I'd probably buy QRO's new 8877
over a new Alpha, and it has nothing
to do with money. Crude as they may be in some respects, the QRO amps
will be repairable 10 or 20 years
down the road. No such guarantee with an Alpha.

Now for my .02 :
. He improved the top cover over earlier models - two pieces and no more
of that wrinkle paint that falls off.

. Interesting cooling design, but still a noisy-if-cheap Dayton blower.
(an upgrade to an EBM/Papst would
be a good option)

. I'm not sure I like exhaust air swirling around the RF deck. If the
tank is heavy enough to not get hot under load,
I'd prefer to see an Alpha-style silicone rubber chimney (or something
like it) routing the exhaust air out of the cabinet.

. I'd like to see the meters bracketed in as well as glued, and LED's
with a dimmer instead of filament bulbs.

. A front-panel bias selector would be a nice addition

. An option to buy it with either a Chinese or Eimac tube would be good.
"No tube" would be even better,
but I understand why it would be hard to warranty an amp sold that way.

Like I said, my .02 .

73,
Jim N7CXI