[Amps] TL922A recommended mods?

k6ye at q.com k6ye at q.com
Tue Aug 14 06:47:09 PDT 2012

Jim,

One source is Rich Measures, AG6K. His URL is http://somis.org/. I own my father's old TL-922A and it is a great amplifier. Good luck.

Semper Fi,

Tommy - K6YE
DX IS and CW RULES

----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Garland <4cx250b at muohio.edu>
To: amps at contesting.com
Sent: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 09:35:24 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: [Amps] TL922A recommended mods?

A friend has a recently acquired lightly used TL-922A that is unmodified and
works perfectly on all bands. He has asked me to replace the clunky T/R
relay with a quieter & faster vacuum relay, and also to install a solid
state relay to take the burden off the power switch.  I'm not familiar with
this amplifier, but from looking at on-line postings it appears to be an
amplifier that owner's can't keep their hands out of! I've never seen such a
hodge-podge of proposed modifications, some of which strike me as bizarre,
others of which purport to improve on the original design, but which appear
to be mostly preventative maintenance rather than solutions to actual
problems. Still other mods probably work just fine, but are hard to install
and require complicated circuitry.  So, my question is whether anyone can
recommend a simple way to swap out the noisy antenna relay and take the
burden off the main power switch? I'm particularly interested in the
mechanical layout, routing of wires, etc.  I've not looked inside the
amplifier yet, but from photos it appears to be rather difficult to work on.

Thanks!

Jim W8ZR