[Amps] K3 spike problem

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Thu Aug 16 13:33:10 PDT 2012

On 8/16/2012 12:44 PM, Carl wrote:
> After trying a couple of borrowed K3's Ive not had a spike problem using my
> PS but they are not a radio I would want to be stuck with. I use headphones
> for SSB and CW and the audio quality is among the most distorted and tiring
> of any rig Ive ever owned except maybe a stock Drake R4-C.

I too mainly use the headphones. One reason is because of a severe high
frequency hearing loss and the other is a high ambient nose level in the
shop and even here in the Den with the two big computers running with
all those fans.

Maybe I expect too much, but I expect to be able to "plug and play" any
rig I purchase. Now that's not to say I expect to use all the fine
features, but the normal ones should not requires any kind of
calibration. I never pay much attention to S-meters because signal
strength depends at least as much on path loss as it does the equipment.
So trying to accurately tell some one the actual strength of their
signal is meaningless...Unless doing a path loss study between specific
stations.

73

Roger (K8RI)

> Carl