[Amps] $120 tube running a 1500 watt amplifier

Alek Petkovic vk6apk at bigpond.com
Sun Aug 19 18:42:47 PDT 2012

The GS23b is a coaxial base tube and as it is a vhf/uhf tube which is
probably only ever used in cavity amplifiers, there are no sockets
readily available. My guess is that is why they are so cheap.

If someone came up with a socket, the price of that tube would skyrocket
very quickly and/or supplies would dry up very quickly.

73, Alek.
VK6APK

On 20/08/2012 8:56 AM, MIKE DURKIN wrote:
> IMD I would start with.
>
>> Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 17:49:20 -0700
>> From: vy1ei at arrl.net
>> To: amps at contesting.com
>> Subject: [Amps] $120 tube running a 1500 watt amplifier
>>
>> OM power has come out with a new light weight amplifier, the OM1500, which
>> runs a GS23B tetrode.   This tube is apparently a militarized version of
>> the 4CX1600U Svetlana Tetrode. Now this tube sells on Ebay for $120, which
>> floors me as I'm running an Ameritron AL-1200 with the 3CX1200Z7 tube,
>> which costs $1300 new. Some rate the 3CX1200 tubes as the toughest tubes in
>> ham radio.  The older AL-1200 tube, the 3CX1200A7 is now selling for $1500,
>> no small sum either (maybe its not being manufactured anymore so what's why
>> the price got jacket up?).
>>
>> Now here is an amp running a single GS23B tube which can be obtained on
>> ebay for $120, one tenth the replacement cost of a 3CX1200A7. I'm wondering
>> what gives here and what's the value in these high end tubes that some of
>> us are buying.
>>
>> Eric
>> VY1EI
>>
>> http://www.om-power.com/om1500