[Amps] Drake L4B Tuned Input on 10 Meters

Jim W7RY jimw7ry at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 00:38:16 EDT 2012

Has anyone modified the Drake L4B tuned input for 10 meters? My amp came stock with 10 meters (an older amp) but the 10 meter input SWR is about 4:1 and adjusting the coil makes little change.  Looking around the net, it seems like folks are saying that the Q is too high. (Hence the high capacitance on 10 and 15 meters)
I also noticed that the Heathkit SB-220 uses 1/2 as much capacitance as the Drake on 10 meters. (And 15 meters too).

I’m going to change cable lengths between the amp and the Icom IC7200 to see if that helps. SWR on 80-15 is great.
But I did have to turn the coils almost all the way into their forms on the other bands.

Idea’s?

Thanks
73
Jim W7RY