[Amps] Alpha 78

Paul w8aef at q.com
Sat Aug 25 17:52:41 EDT 2012

I had an Alpha 76CA with the same Hypersil transformer that is used on the
78.

I installed that transformer in my Alpha 76A equipped with a pair of
3CX800A7's and an auxiliary cooling fan, and about 3 hours into an RTTY
contest running 1.5Kw the transformer started to smell like it was very hot.

I dropped down to 1Kw output and no further problems.

FWIW, I found that the stock 76A transformer is better than the Alpha
Hypersil or a Peter Dahl Hypersil.  This conclusion based on a higher plate
voltage while running 1.5Kw output.

My 76A requires about 105 watts drive for 1.5Kw output.

de Paul, W8AEF

ZF2JI/ZF2TA  FO8DX/FO8PLA  8Q7AA  XZ0A  VU7RG/VU3PYM  TX5C  A52PP