[Amps] urban myth and transmitting tubes

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Mon Aug 27 12:34:25 EDT 2012

    Alternators are interesting devices. Today they have internal
regulators which control the field current to regulate the output voltage.
They have to charge batteries and operate lights and other equipment even
at idle. Alternators are limited mostly by the heating of the
stator windings which is current squared times the windings resistance. If
you do away with the regulator and provide your own excitation
to the field ( rotor) you can get much more output voltage. You can get 120
or more volts DC, or AC if diodes are removed from them and draw the same
current. This
used to be done years ago when folks wanted to run their electric chain saw
or skill saws off of their car's alternator. They had universal
winding motors. Also the silicon rectifiers had sufficient reverse
polarization to handle 120VDC output. They probably use Schottky today
which may not.
    By the way, they do have quite a high frequency output.
73
Bill wa4lav