[Amps] Has anyone ever actually build an 833A linear?

KG8YN kg8yn at neo.rr.com
Mon Dec 3 09:59:45 EST 2012

Yea, Paul,

I'm sure it gave the CE 10 a loud voice. I'd like to see your driver
circuit.

Let me attempt to fill some blanks about your amp.  Hmm... Push Pull,
amplifies both halves of the cycle, low distortion, absolutely the best way
to go!  However, balanced in, balanced out.  So unless you single-ended it,
I'll guess you used link coupling to a pair of air variables connected to
600 ohm open wire.  Again, absolutely the best way to go!

And Mike,

We live in a coax world.  So if you want to use a parallel design, you
should find plenty of info, use a design center curve, and halve the plate
resistance for 2 tubes. Use a pi-net calculator, and the biggest components
you can find!  The hardest part is the mounting and ventilation.  One manual
says, "Direct an air nozzle to the top of the tube".  Look at the commercial
broadcast transmitters like Gates and others, when 833's were popular. Make
a variable bias supply.  The circuit should get you working.  For grid
driven parallel, the swamping resistors are the best idea. Use 100 ohm 50W
RF type on each grid.   A lot of fabrication will be required for mounting.
I think the side fan is ok to blow between 2 tubes, but the chassis bottom
mounts should be open with a lower chassis exhaust fan, and the use of top
down blowers for tube longevity. Shop for ceramic standoffs, I have some
square pillars and heat radiating caps if I can lay my hands on them.  I don't
know how many 833C's you have, but e-mail me if you want to sell a pair.

Jim Lewis, KG8YN

kg8yn at neo.rr.com