[Amps] First Linear

Jerry Kaidor jerry at tr2.com
Wed Dec 5 11:01:59 EST 2012

Well, I never built anything with 833's, but my first linear back in high
school was four 6LQ6's stuffed into an ARC-5 transmitter cabinet.  I used
the roller coil at the front for the output pi network.  It had a homemade
plate choke wound on a pyrex test tube out of my chemistry set. The power
supply was a separate box that sat on the floor.

The first time I ran it - with no fan - it burst into flames!  Then I
mounted a muffin fan on top, and closed all but the bottom louvers.
After that it ran nice and cool.

I used Radio Shack lifetime tubes and carefully taped the RS receipt to
the bottom of the linear.

  I remember that on 15M it only used a half or quarter turn on the
roller coil :).

                   - Jerry KF6VB