[Amps] Choke input filters, design criteria?

Chris Wilson chris at chriswilson.tv
Mon Dec 17 12:36:26 EST 2012

  17/12/2012 17:34

Having built a big 5kV 1.8 amp supply that seems to work safely and
well, I want to build a lesser one for a single GS35B 2 meter amp. I
have a suitable transformer with a good range of taps to be able to
vary the output voltage through a fair range, and have acquired a 4
Henry 2 Ampere choke (not a swinging choke, a "normal" one). I am
wondering if I should attempt to use it rather than a capacitive input
filter? What design criteria can I follow to check if it's suitable,
and if so, to choose a suitable cap and bleeders to go with this? It's
from a dismantled and parted out Hirschmann 3500V DC supply. My supply
will be run off single phase, 50Hz UK 240 volt mains. Thanks.

--
       Best Regards,
                   Chris Wilson.
mailto: chris at chriswilson.tv