[Amps] Most power ever run on amateur radio :-)

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Wed Dec 19 16:05:02 EST 2012

A few overseas US military stations were known to have run in the 20-50KW
range when needing to clear a hole to pass traffic or run phone patches.

Ive also heard of a small group who have former commercial SW rigs in the
same range who exercise them once a year or so on SSB.

My own personal best was unknown but a BC-610 was used as the driver to a
pair of 1500T's modulated by PP 1000T's. The antenna was 6 el Telrex at 90'
built to survive the afterburner. It was also a military station, located in
KS, and was often in communications with one of the ones in the first
paragraph running the higher power listed (;  Those afterburners were only
used when poor conditions needed it or deliberate QRM needed to be shoved
aside.

The statute of limitations is long since past.........

Im sure many of us also know a few hams with amps using 5 digit dissipation
tubes, one privately told me he had it up to 40KW on 75. It would be no
stretch to imagine that there are many more around the world.

Carl
KM1H