[Amps] reducing the reactance of a wirewound resistor

jeff millar wa1hco at wa1hco.net
Sun Feb 5 09:23:18 PST 2012

Interesting... I looked up Aryton-Perry winding as a result.  The Wikipedia
entry pointed out ...

"One disadvantage is that because the two lengths of resistive wire are
connected in parallel, four times the length of wire (twice the length for
each coil) is needed to make a given resistance than if a single coil was used."

That led to the realization that the two windings have to carry the same current
to have the magnetic fields cancel...which means they have to have the same
resistance.

Conclusions...
    - start with 100 Ohm wire wound resistor
    - count the turns
    - wind 100 Ohms worth of copper over the same length
    - for same turn count, need smaller diameter wire

jeff, wa1hco