[Amps] Different amp recommendations

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Feb 8 12:42:57 PST 2012

On 2/8/2012 10:59 AM, Richard Solomon wrote:
> So, all this talk begs the question ....
> What is available in the Ham Market that will do 1.5 KW for any length of time.
There are a number of them.  Emtron from Australia, Acom from Europe are
two.
I can run the legal limit on SSB for long winded rag chews and the tank
doesn't even get hot.
OTOH the tank coil is much larger than the ones in the Ameritron.

> I expect if such an animal existed, they would be selling a bunch of them.

The problem is that said amps to really have the overhead are capable of
running enough power they won't pass FCC certification.  So amps like
the Emtron DX-2sp and DX-3sp which are capable of 2.5 and 5 KW PEP
respectively, are not advertised in the US.  The Acom is auto tune so
IIRC its power is controlled.

73

Roger (K8RI)