[Amps] HD HF amplifier recommendations

Donald Fox taurusshoguy at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 18:07:31 PST 2012

Et al:

I wanted to throw into the mix what came into my mind as I have followed this topic.

Since we have not defined any parameters (that I have seen) regarding price, age, or portability, I submit the following.

If memory serves correctly, are not the Alpha 87A and 9500 rated along with the Henry Classic Export consoles (2KX, 3KX, 5K) all continuous duty at full rated output?

While I realize the bar has been set at 1500 watts, most of us can recall those great QST ads of the 70's and 80's with the older generation Alpha with a "brick on the key" at 1KW out.

If 160 meters coverage is an issue, that would narrow the field quite a bit.

As mentioned, the Commander line of amps with a pair of 3cx800's or the Ameritron AL-1500 with its 8877 certainly have more than enough "bottle" to get the job done. Whether the power supply is up to 1500 watts keydown ad nauseum is the question.

If cost is not a concern, names like Emtron come to mind.

I'll go back to the lurk mode, and see what comments if any I have drawn out with my thoughts.

                              Don N8ECH