[Amps] 3-500z amp homebrew question

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sun Feb 12 14:45:30 PST 2012

On 2/12/2012 12:52 PM, John Lemay wrote:
> Mike
>
> If you did not understand the reason for that choke, do you think you should
> be doing any work inside the amplifier ?

We all have/had to start some where and asking questions is a good place
to start.  It's where you learn to keep one hand in your pocket and
don't wear rings, watches, neck chains, or other jewelry while working
on *stuff*, but we didn't have to worry about static electricity ruining
parts.

My first transmitter didn't work worth...crap.  Pair of 6L6's
Then I discovered those blue resistors were all wire wound. Wondered if
that might have an effect, probably not but I replaced them with carbon
composition to see if it did and it it worked great, right off.

It was amazing to watch the blue glow change in time with the
keying...along with the glow of the plates. (Two years later I was
working with 100 to 200 KW Plus.)
There were all kinds of tubes available for a buck or two new, and
generally free at the local TV repair shops.
On top of that the local hams would usually help out and sell or give
parts to build most anything unless it was their favorite final like
304TLs, Of course even the high power ones were a whopping $5 or $10 USD.

800V can kill you just as dead as 3000, it just can't reach quite as far
and you know those filter caps can hold a charge a longggg time without
a bleeder.
Beware the lightning that lurketh in charged capacitors!

Anyone have the 10 commandments of electrical safety?

73

Roger (K8RI)