[Amps] Source for plate xfrmer

Steve Bookout steve at dx4win.com
Mon Feb 13 20:05:53 PST 2012

Guys,

This is where I think i got into trouble.

I rebuilt a BTI 2000 that had already had another PS put in place of the original. The resultant load impedance was so far from the original design that efficiency was REALLY low.
I built a new supply with a transformer I had used in another amp.
I used GM3SEK's on-line calculator to rebuild the RF deck into a fixed, 80 meter only amp.  (This was for the 80 m position at my M/M.)
Really beefed things up and was well satisfied with how the RF deck worked out.
PS, not so much.  Abt 4500 volts no load and abt 3600 at 500 mils.
Now, the real working voltage is much less than I designed the RF deck for.  Efficiency is off, although not nearly as bad as when i started.
A year and a half ago, I put it on the air for CQWW CW.  1300 watts during a tune up, equals abt 1600, or more when sending CW.  Dynamic regulation stinks!  You have to tune, then send CW to see where the power is.  Adjust and repeat.
I remember saying to myself 'Blow up you &%¥€#?@, then I'll get you right!'.  It stayed on 3502.3 KHz all weekend, for abt 1200 80 mtr Q's.
If that had been because of resistance in the caps, they would have quickly died from the heat. BTW, they are low ESR, 105 C caps.
Anyway, it is rugged, although it is far from perfect.  I'm a bit like the TV character 'Monk', and this is just bothering the Hell out of me.
Both my 160 m, 4-1000 amp and my 40 m, 8877 amp have power supplies that use Dahl transformers at 4200 v rated at 1.5 A CCS.  They hardly flicker.

I know I checked the secondary resistance.  I knew better, but it just didn't sink in, I guess.  Don't remember what it was now.

Anyway, this is where I am and how I got here.

73 de Steve, NR4M

Sent from my iPad