[Amps] Source for plate xfrmer

Al Kozakiewicz akozak at hourglass.com
Tue Feb 14 08:08:18 PST 2012

First off, NEC codes end at the outlet.  An amp is an "appliance" and would be covered by UL, which is entirely optional.  There is nothing that forbids such a practice - an electric range is a good example as the overn elements are typically 240v, while the burners, controls and lamps are 120v.

The issue is that a range uses a 4 prong outlet - 2 x hot, neutral and ground, while your typical amp/AC outlet is missing the neutral.  You may NOT connect your fan between a hot and the chassis ground, even though it would be electrically rational.  If the safety ground failed, the chassis would then be at 120v with respect to ground.

Al
AB2ZY