[Amps] Source for plate xfrmer

Dave dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 16 06:51:28 PST 2012

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:56:43 -0600

Well, I wanted a single cap and a regulated supply.  Too much?

I mentioned having it partly for a sanity check.  I have a friend who
once built a 4x1 amp with a 6 KV supply.  When he fired it up he got
plasma while the rack danced around in his basement for 15 seconds which
was how long it took for him to recover and get to the breaker panel.
Maybe he had too much filter C.

Breaker panel!

Our industrial amps, have a HV Crowbar system.  If something arc's, that
fires dumping the B+, also simultaniously killing the command to the
primary contactor.   It all makes a "bit of a bang", but does limit the
damage potential.

OK, we only go to some 2kV but with *Lots* of amps (double figures!)

You could use a triggered spark gap, or "something" at 6kV.  But you'd
also need some fault current limiting, or your spark gap (or whatever)
would probably cease to exist!

Remember, imagine the very worst thing that could happen, then plan for
even worse than that happening!   Don't assume things will get connected
together correctly too, if amp and psu are separate items.

Then, you (and your amp) maybe safe.  Some of the time....

Regards.

Dave G0WBX.