[Amps] 4 x Glass Glowing tubes

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Feb 28 16:06:46 PST 2012

On 2/28/2012 1:46 PM, Baruch 4z4rb wrote:
> the GU81 works best as a grounded cathode
>
> Russian hams run it up to 3kv on plate and 800v on screen
>
> These giants will take more abuse than any other lamp I know!!!!!

3 KW out, no fan, and this is with a pair of tubes  rated for 450 watts
dissipation each or 600 watts momentary
That's roughly 2 KW dissipation from of a pair of tubes rated 1200 watts
momentary or 900 nominal.
No wonder they are popular even at $50 each and $35 to $50 each for the
sockets.  The sockets appear to be a crude, but efficient affair.
However at those prices and capabilities they make monobanders for 160
through at least 20 meters feasible.
~138 watts per filament (276W instant on) , Grid is 10 W dissipation
while the screen is 120 watts.

Do they put voltage on the grid and screen and bypass them to ground, or
just hard wire them to ground?  It appears to me that these might work
like the 4-400 and 4-1000 in GG with their ratings.

73

Roger (K8RI)