[Amps] IMD

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Mon Jan 2 12:28:59 PST 2012

One of the biggest mistakes that newer hams and older ones that don't understand the rigs that well,
is that they leave on the noise blankers. They can easily make it seem that there is a dirty signal
near by when it is just a strong one that is tripping the noise blanker.
  HF manmade RFI is absolutely terrible today. Some is impulse noise but most is broad band %#)(*)(#*($ that
comes from CFL , touch lamps and switching power supplies. Some comes from various internet cables.
  In my area it is often S5 or greater.
These guys may turn the blankers on and see a half or full S-unit improvement and leave it on.
One time I had a ham complaining that a ham was splattering on all the HF ham bands. I told him that it
was unlikely especially on the bands of lower frequency that the ham was transmitting on.
They were only a block away from one another and both had amplifiers.
He and the club members did not like my suggestion that it mostly was the old guys receiver
The other ham was a new guy that the old guy and some of the members had a beaf with anyway.
  73
Bill wa4lav