[Amps] IMD

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Sat Jan 7 16:13:26 PST 2012

I forgot to put the link in.
http://www.k6mhe.com/n7ws/Speech_1.PDF

Hi Bill,

This is not a problem of not producing the square wave itself.
A perfect square wave has all of the odd harmonics in phase.
When you modulate an SSB transmitter with a square wave the phase of the
fundamental and harmonics shift. This produces another fundamental that sums
together.

To pass an ideal square wave signal in an SSB transmitter requires infinite
bandwidth and infinite amplitude. Though the square wave is not the ideal
one it still requires a high amplitude capability.

This is pointed out in the Collins "fundamentals of SSB".
Here is a link to an article on the subject by Wes Stuart N7WS.

73
Gary  K4FMX