[Amps] IMD

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Thu Jan 12 15:18:34 PST 2012

    The human ear does not hear waveform or phase shifts. In fact it a bunch of overlapping narrow bandpass filters that only respond to
amplitudes at their resonant frequencies.  Phase information, as far as the human ear is concerned, is not important.
However, in the case of data or video it is.
   Just a piece of coax cable produces different phase shifts for different frequencies even if it is a perfect delay. That is because
for  a fixed delay for all fequencies there will be a phase shift for each frequency proportional to frequency. That is why an ideal
filter has a rectangular frequency response and a linear phase response ( constant delay).
73
Bill wa4lav