[Amps] Alpha 78 PRO III RigBlaster SteppIR interconnections

rick darwicki n6pe at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 12:16:47 PST 2012

Hi all, please respond off list if you can help.

My current station has a computer with N1MM and digital programs that run thru the RigBlaster and key the PRO III key line/PTT and FSK rtty connection. The send relay on the PRO III is run to an AL-80B QSK amp broken by a SteppIR lock out relay.

I have converted an Alpha 76 to an Alpha 78, copied the 78 QSK board and installed vacuum relay etc.

To run QSK with the 78 they recommend the 78 key the PRO III. I can put the SteppIR lock out in series with the Alpha T/R enable line by adding a couple of RCA jacks. The 78 goes send ready when you push CW or SSB then if you ground the "RELAY" jack on the 78 it keys the QSK protection and manages switching the antenna and closing the "KEY" jack.

Now, I assume I connect the CW out on the RigBlaster to the 78 RELAY jack and run my grandmaster and hand key in there also. Then the KEY output on the 78 goes to the KEY in on the PRO III.

The RigBlaster is set to use CW/PTT on COM 1 and FSK on COM 2.

Am I thinking right? If the computer program keys up CW PTT or RTTY all will still be well?

Now what happens if I key the radio with the internal keyer memories, nothing is keying the 78?

What do I do ????

Rick, N6PE