[Amps] tetrode reverse screen grid current

Hsu hsu4qro at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 03:03:51 PST 2012

Hi Ian,
   Maybe I can not  describ it clearly. Sorry for my bad English.I have read
your article and the manuals carefully many  years ago, very good job!
But I do not think it can use my 4CX5000R project othewise modify the screen
shunt power supply  greatly.
The shun regulater with low   efficiency although it  can hold negative
screen current,So I do not think pure shunt regulator in big amp( l
4CX5000/10000/15000) is good option
.but series  rugulator cann't hold  negative screen current, if we use
series power supply for
secreen power supply , we have to put  a HV block diode and a  shunt
bleeder resistor ,  when the negative current happened, the block diode is
turned off and the powewr supply  output current is zero and negative
current gos along
bleeder resistor  to ground, in this condition, the screen voltage   is not
regulated. If  we combine a shunt regulator in a series rugunlator's outpuyt
( use a smaller   bleeder resistor
series a HV MOSFET  as a shunt regunlator), when the negative  current
happened, if the screen voltage gos high, and over series regulator's out
put  a bit( I assume is 0.2V, as less as possible,just  only  keep the block
diode  turn off) the shunt rugunlator will be  active. In this condition,
screen voltage still regulated. in postitive current condition, only series
regulator work, the shunt regulator will not active.
  Is It a good idea?
I have find  many commerical broadcasting transmitter's screen power
supply's design, most of them use series regunlator+block diode+ shunt
bleeder resistor. It is not perfect.
I 'm studyig Racal's design now, it is unique.

    73!Hsu