[Amps] 3CX400/3CX800 Socket

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Mon Jan 30 15:33:00 PST 2012

On 1/30/2012 11:12 AM, Carl wrote:
> The plate clamp used is simply a push on big resistor type clamp and maded
> of plated steel. I tossed them in my 76PA as they were corroded from
> Carribean living at a contest station. Ive had many othe 8874 Alphas in here
> with similar corrosion and some appears to be caused just by the RF.  I cut
> some brass strips, drilled a few holes for a screw and wire connection and
> tighten enough so they make a good connection but not overtight.
I've also used the fin(s) out of old copper heat sinks for these as well
as for the "hairpin" parasitic suppressors.
it's easy to cut with a pair of hears. NOTE many metal shears will leave
a rough or serrated edge while a good pair of scissors will leave a nice
clean edge.
These are easy to bend, easy to punch or drill holes (use a high speed
so the drill doesn't catch, but *be careful*) and hold their shape well.
some of the newer ones are copper plated Aluminum and nearly all current
models are Aluminum with some being very large. If those were copper the
motherboards probably wouldn't support them.  They just barely fit into
most full size tower cases.

73

Roger (K8RI)