[Amps] Amplified TV Antenna

Jerry Kaidor jerry at tr2.com
Fri Jul 6 11:13:09 PDT 2012

Hello,

   Need a little advice here.  TV reception has been marginal at this QTH
since we moved in 8 months ago.  Well, that's with an antenna made of
300ohm
twinlead thumbtacked to the wall.  XYL has been bugging me for something
better.  BTW, there is no trace whatsoever of interference from the ham
station, even when pushing out 900W.  It probably helps that the actual
antenna is 100 feet up the hill.

   So I bought one of these on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JT0FWY/

   It has decent reviews, unlike many indoor antennas.

....I figured I could make a pole mount for it on a stand and just set the
stand on the floor.

   Now I am having second thoughts.  The thing has an internal amplifier,
and there's an RF remote for it.   The station is about 10 feet away.
If this antenna reacts badly to my HF leakage I will be screwed.  If
OTOH I use something passive, I can always stick an HPF in its coax.
Maybe

   Last night I started a QSO with a 2, courtesy of the Alpha - and the
XYL started yelling at me from downstairs.  I tried to ignore her, she
screamed louder and louder.  Seems we recently bought a pair of
bookcases.  Each bookcase has a backlight and a touch control for the
backlight.  One of the backlights was turning on and off - actually
cycling through its three brightnesses.  I was able to fix the problem
by just unplugging the offending bookcase.  Wouldn't be able to do that
with the TV :).

                      - Jerry Kaidor, KF6VB ( jerry at tr2.com )